On April 28, 1819, the Methodist founded a society in Auburn. In 1821 a wooden church was built on Chapel Street. Services were held there for 12 years.
The stone church was erected on the southwest corner of North and Water Streets and dedicated February 6, 1833. In April 1867 the church was destroyed by fire.
A new brick church was built on Exchange Street and was dedicated January 7, 1869. A large Sunday School was added in 1883. In 1910 the church was remodeled including a new kitchen, dining room, heating system, organ and the Good Shepherd window. In 1924 a gymnasium was added. The sanctuary was remodeled in 1924. During the next fifteen years the membership grew. After 88 years of service the building was in need of major repairs. A vote was taken on May 7, 1954, to build a new church at a new site.
The present church erected on the corner of South Street and Fitch Avenue was consecrated on April 27, 1957. The fellowship hall was built in 1959. On September 7, 1986, the mortgage was burned. The property and building between the church and the church’s west parking lot was purchased in 1993.
In 1885, members of First Methodist Church (now located at 99 South Street) decided to purchase the property on the corner of East Genesee and Evans Streets for the purpose of building a chapel for Sunday School work and occupational services in connection with First Church. In 1886, a wooden chapel was started. It soon became apparent there weren’t enough Methodists in the eastern part of the city to organize a church. The Rev. Arthur Copeland was appointed in October of 1886 as the first pastor. There were 75 members of the church at that time.
In 1906, the present structure was started. Based on the “Akron Plan”. The new building was designed with an auditorium to seat 500 people, and expandable to accommodate 1400. Forty years later, Oct. 20, 1946, ceremonies were conducted in commemoration of the 60th Anniversary of the Church’s founding.
On April 20, 2008, First and Trinity congregations voted to merge the congregations into one Auburn Methodist Church. We are now working together to continue the work of Jesus Christ.